Monday, August 10, 2015

Wanderlust 101

Wanderlust:  a strong desire for or impulse to travel and explore the world.  

I have it bad. Some wanderlust is motivated by a desire to escape guilt and other negative feelings.  My wanderlust is driven by an intense urge for self-development by experiencing new adventures, cultures, cuisines, ways of life and people.  Those of us with wanderlust are a special bunch: Here's what people with wanderlust already know...

I definitely have a bucket (or "places-to-go") list and it keeps growing. Do you have a bucket list??  I'm curious to hear which places made your list.  Please share in the comments.  It may help me add to my list too!

I'm determined to visit every state in the U.S., each continent,  to travel to all countries ending in a vowel and everywhere else in between.  In other words, I want to see it all! But alas, I have obligations, have not won PowerBall nor was I born with a silver spoon in my mouth.  I am resourceful to get my wanderlust fix.  I look for deals and stack/use miles to get creative in my pursuit of travel and adventure. If I can do it, you can do it too.  Travel is not just for celebrities and the wealthy.  It's accessible to all of us!

Start with a list of 10 places you'd like to go.  I recommend low hanging fruit -- places you've always wanted to visit close to home.  Then, expand the list. Watch the travel channel for ideas. Check out Groupon escapes or Living Social getaways to see what offerings pique your interest.  If time and funds permit, plan for at least one trip in the next one to two years.  Brown bag your lunch a few days a week and start a travel fund.  Tax returns are a great way to fund wanderlust. 

Whatever you can do to responsibly feed your wanderlust, do it.  Don't make excuses about why you can't, you can use miles, deals or savings to see the world.  It awaits you!

Here's just a few countries/regions on my bucket list:


  1. South Africa
  2. Southeast Asia  (Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Burma)
  3. Australia
  4. New Zealand
  5. Seychelles
  6. Brazil
  7. Maldives
  8. India 
  9. Cuba
  10. Mediterranean (Greece & Turkey)



No comments:

Post a Comment