Monday, December 8, 2014

Seeing the Dominican Republic on a Dime

Picture it:  bright blue water, white sand, gleaming sunlight. It's 90 degrees and you're laid out on a cabana with a daiquiri in hand, listening to the waves without a care in the world.  And it cost you less than $40 to get there...

That's just what I did! A few weeks ago, I visited Puerto Plata, in the Dominican Republic with my girlfriends. I used my frequent flyer miles and Capital One Rewards points to travel for $36.  Yep. That's not a typo.  $36!! And the first leg of the trip included first class seats. :)  I booked two one-way trips one using 30K AAdvantage frequent flyer miles (and paid $36 in taxes and fees) for business/first class seats and a little over 39K Capital One rewards miles for the return trip.


So I bet you're wondering how I did it. Many people believe they can't afford to travel with the high cost of airfare.  But if you earn miles/points as a part of your daily routine it's doable.  It's simple enough,but it takes dedication.  (If you haven't guessed by now, I'm quite committed to earning miles.)

Throughout the year, I dine at restaurants that participate in the Dining Rewards program and make purchases for everyday items online through the Aadvantage Eshopping portal.  I buy almost everything online -- from things like toiletries and paper towel to specialty items like home decor, clothing and furniture from my favorite retailers.  I have my online shopping portal bookmarked. Before I buy ANYTHING online, I first visit the portal to earn miles for my purchase.

I bank with Capital One and have a credit card with them as well.  For each banking transaction or credit card purchases I earn miles. That adds up. I earn lots of miles every month paying bills, making debit card purchases etc.  All things you have to do anyway. I believe you should get something for your money.

Okay, back to DR. We stayed at the all-inclusive Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club in Cofresi. I used my timeshare exchange for the accommodations which we split among the group.  Our all inclusive fee was only $30 per person, per night. So we enjoyed a week in the sun and sand, with good food and even better cocktails for a fraction of the cost of most tropical vacations.

Now, to be fair, I obviously spent more than a dime, but thanks to miles/points my trip didn't cost much (less than $300 for a week-long all-inclusive vacation).  Enjoying the sun and working on my tan while my friends and family back home endured the first snow fall, well, that's priceless. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment